Standing left to right: Maureen Hall, SCL, James Roscoe. Seated left to right: Constance Phelps, SCL, Maureen Mahoney, Esq., Charlotte White, SCL
Today, the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth (SCLs) enjoys the sponsorship of SCL Health by Leaven Ministries, a newer entity (public juridic person) recognized by the Catholic Church. This sponsorship allows the religious community to invite lay leaders into the sponsorship role to continue its health ministry into the future consistent with the SCL spirit, mission and values. This model has been successfully adopted by other religious communities and Catholic health systems and it does not affect day-to-day operations or governance of SCL Health hospitals and clinics. The currently appointed Leaven Ministries consists of three Sisters and two lay leaders. The religious community will remain connected through the Sponsors' Council. As they are available, SCLs also remain involved on Boards of Directors and on staffs of the hospitals, clinics and system services.
Members' roles and responsibilities include:
- Establish and approve the mission and philosophy of the corporation.
- Assure preservation of Catholic identity and providing good stewardship of resources.
- Approve the amendment of the corporate charter and bylaws.
- Appoint the President and the Board of Directors of SCL Health.
- Approve debt, or the acquisition, lease, sale or mortgage of assets.
- Approve the merger, dissolution or restructuring of SCL Health and Affiliates.
- Approve the formation process for members of Leaven Ministries.
- Approve the admission of new participating entities.
- Take any other action which, in accordance with the civil corporate documents governing SCL Health, is reserved to its members.