Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth
The Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth (SCLs) is a community of women religious (Catholic sisters) that was founded in 1858, with a special commitment to serve the poor. The SCL Mother House is located in Leavenworth, Kan., with sisters serving ministries in the continental United States, as well as Peru and South Sudan. Their mission is to “offer every loving service in our power to meet the critical needs of God’s people.”
- The sisters trace their roots to St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac, who in 17th century France founded the first community of vowed women religious to minister outside the walls of cloistered convents.
- Today, SCLs serve in ministries including parish and diocesan administration, healthcare, education, social services, spiritual development and many others.
- They continue to be involved at SCL Health care sites, serving as associates, volunteers and board members.
- The sisters’ “sponsored works/ministries” (incorporated ministries) include:
- Cristo Rey High School, Kansas City, Kan.
- Marillac Center retreat facility, Leavenworth, Kan.
- St. Vincent de Paul Pastoral Center, Piura, Peru.
- University of Saint Mary with campuses in Leavenworth, Kan., and Overland Park, Kan.
- Leadership of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth includes a Community Council elected every six years during a Chapter (general meeting) of the religious community. Current Council members (through June 2016) are (clockwise from the bottom in the photo on the right) Sister Maureen Hall, Community Director; Sister Jean Anne Panisko, Community Treasurer; Sister Nancy Bauman, Councilor; Sister Eileen Hurley, Councilor; Sister Eileen Haynes, Councilor; and Sister Peg Johnson, Community Secretary.
For more information:
Connect with the SCLs on Facebook