Saint Joseph Hospital
Saint Joseph Hospital was founded in Denver in 1873 by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, Kan., as the first private hospital in Colorado. Today, it remains the largest private teaching hospital in Denver. Part of SCL Health, Saint Joseph Hospital is nationally recognized for its clinical performance. The hospital provides a tradition of healthcare that includes compassionate caregivers, stellar clinical expertise and an active partnership with Kaiser Permanente and community physicians. In 2014, Saint Joseph and SCL Health signed a joint operating agreement with National Jewish Health to collaborate on clinical operations. Saint Joseph's new state-of-the-art hospital opened in December of 2014.
1375 E. 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80218-1191
For billing questions, please contact the billing office at 1-866-665-2636.
Saint Joseph Hospital's tradition of health care includes compassionate caregivers, stellar clinical expertise and an active partnership with Colorado Permanente Medical Group and community physicians.
Saint Joseph Hospital embarked on a major initiative called the Heritage Project to revitalize the downtown Denver campus and create the newest, most modern hospital in Colorado. The new facility opened in December 2014 and ensures the best in quality, affordable healthcare for the community.
*Statistics based on year-end December 2015 results.
- Full-time Equivalents 1,873
- Medical Staff 1,535
- Inpatient Admissions 18,600
- Emergency Visits 53,545
- Available Beds** 374
- Births 4,450
- Total Community Benefit $49.7 million
**Available beds are beds in service and available for all hospital
nursing units (excluding bassinets).
Download the Fact Sheet
Download a campus map
View Larger Map
Services and Expertise
- Cardiac Services: Saint Joseph is the leading heart hospital in Denver, performing nearly 350 open heart surgeries annually. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons recognized the hospital for the fifth year in a row with the highest rating possible.
- Labor and Delivery Services: Approximately one in every 12 births in Colorado occurs at Saint Joseph.The hospital is recognized throughout the Rocky
Mountain region as a referral center for high-risk mothers. Critically ill newborns are cared for in the Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Oncology Services: Nearly one in 10 Denver-area residents hospitalized with cancer receives care here. The Comprehensive Cancer Center brings together in one place the hospital’s Breast Care Center, cancer psychosocial services, a laboratory, a cancer pharmacy and the Infusion Center. Clinical professionals have access to leading-edge technology and can better interact to provide fully coordinated care to patients.
- Orthopedic Program: Two adjacent units with a total of 41 beds comprise the Orthopedic Unit, among the busiest in Denver. The program earned a Five-Star Rating for Back and Neck Surgery (Spinal Fusion) and Spine Surgery in 2012. Care is provided by recognized experts in orthopedic procedures.
- Emergency Department: Highly trained physicians, nurses and support staff treat more than 140 patients per day. The department operates an observation unit where patients needing extended care can be treated for up to 23 hours – often avoiding a hospital admission.
- Graduate Medical Education: As the largest private teaching hospital in Colorado, Saint Joseph offers accredited resident training in family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics/gynecology and surgery to more than 100 residents each year.