Providence Finishes State-of-the-Art Emergency Services Department Expansion
January 30, 2009
Right on schedule, Providence Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., has completed construction of its $10 million dollar Emergency Services department expansion and is now treating patients in the new space.
The expansion has nearly tripled the size of the Providence Emergency Services department, enlarging it from 8,000 square feet to approximately 23,000 square feet.
“The new department is well-designed and much more spacious,” says Janie Schumaker, R.N., B.S.N., M.B.A., C.E.N., C.P.H.Q., Providence Emergency Services director. “We can better serve our patients and the community with features such as private patient rooms and a larger waiting area.”
Mike Dorsey, Providence president/CEO, adds that Providence is proud to be able to offer the public such an outstanding service and state-of-the-art facility. “Our new Emergency Services department will allow us to better meet the community’s needs for any type of emergent care.”
The completed project includes:
• Additional treatment areas.
• More accessible entrance and new waiting room.
• 29 private patient care areas (originally there were 17 semi-private treatment areas).
• Radiology suite featuring digital, high-resolution technology.
• New stretchers and monitoring equipment.
• Four Rapid Medical Evaluation rooms, which allow staff to utilize this new triaging system, a proven best practice method. Providence is the first hospital in Kansas to provide this emergency care model.
• Four fully equipped resuscitation rooms, which provide life-saving accessibility to support the hospital’s accredited Chest Pain Center.
• The latest in emergency preparedness equipment and facility design to comprehensively respond to a citywide disaster.
• State-of-the-art emergency medical services lounge including internet and computer access, cable television, comfortable chairs, a snack bar and private restroom.
In recognition of their dedication and support of the Providence Saint John Foundation’s capital campaign, the new department has been named the Charles and Antoinette Berkel Emergency Services Department. Berkel is a long-time community leader and owner of Berkel & Company Contractors, Inc. He also is an original member of the Providence Saint John Foundation.
The Providence Emergency Services department also recently installed the latest emergency department information system called the T SystemEV® Version 2.6 from T-System. It assists the staff in delivering more efficient, streamlined patient care.