GSMC Receives Gold Environmental Leadership Award
October 07, 2014
Only hospital in Colorado to receive Gold Award in 2014
LAFAYETTE, Colo. (October 7, 2014) — Good Samaritan Medical Center (GSMC) has received the Environmental Leadership Program (ELP) Gold Award from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment (CDPHE). The award recognizes Colorado organizations that demonstrate a commitment to environmental improvement and voluntarily exceed compliance with state and federal regulations.
“This award reflects the hard work by our associates who are dedicated to our environment,” said Mike Gerken, BSEE MBA, Senior Director of Support Services for Good Samaritan Medical Center. “We are very proud to be a leader in the healthcare community and hope to set an example for others to follow.”
Some of the hospital’s green/sustainability projects include:
- Reduced electrical consumption: 1,475,000 kWh reduction in 2013 vs. 2012
- Result of constant Central Utility Plant power management enhancements, lighting sensor installations, and adjustments in the lighting schedules for the facility.
- Reduced water consumption: 4,892,000 gallon reduction in 2013 vs. 2012
- Recycled 520 tons including:
- Conversion in our café to all recyclable or compostable service ware, plates, bowls and cups
- 19.2 tons compost generated from kitchen, café, and public restrooms
- Reprocessing medical devices: 5.4 tons total, $196,944 total savings ($3,244 waste savings)
- Recognized by ColoradoBiz Magazine with a Green Colorado award
“Good Samaritan and our associates are committed to being a green/sustainability leader by reducing its impact on the environment,” said Rob Robbins, GMSC’s Safety Services Manager. “We are doing this by conserving our precious electrical and water resources to reduce the amount of waste.”
About Good Samaritan Medical Center
Good Samaritan Medical Center opened December 1, 2004 and is a community-based, 234 bed acute-care hospital located in Lafayette, CO. The medical center is part of the SCL Health, which is headquartered in Denver, Colo. Good Samaritan Medical Center’s premier services include Level II Trauma, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Heart and Neurovascular Center, robotic surgery, Primary Stroke Center, Integrative Health and Healing Center, “baby friendly” birthing center and emergency services including a Senior Emergency Room. To learn more, visit www.goodsamaritancolorado.org.
Good Samaritan Medical Center | 200 Exempla Circle, Lafayette, CO 80026